Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 7 Recovery Day 6, 5 (Aspiration #1)

Couldn't really sleep as legs were very uncomfortable.  Woke up at 330 to stretch them out a bit.  After a bit of toss and turning, decided to wash my hair.  It felt really sore after removing the bandages, esp the right calf.  I couldn't stand straight so had to sit on the toilet while showering.  It's now 7 and I'm not sure whether I should try to get some sleep or get the day started.  So I decided to email Park about the pain and after a bit, I finally fell asleep.  Woke up after 2 hours at around 1030 and saw that Park had replied saying I should go see him now so that he might give me some injections to increase the recovery.  I went downstairs and couldn't see Bok Soon so I decided to tough it out and walked to his clinic.  It was quite exhausting but I found that after walking a bit, my calves do feel a bit better.  I got to the clinic at around 11 and the nurse sat me onto the operation bed and started removing my bandages.  As they were about to wrap it up again, I told them that I was supposed to see Park on Wednesday, but because my calves are unbearably painful, he suggested me to come in today (Monday).  Park came in and examined my calves a bit.  I asked whether it is normal to have a sudden halt in recovery and he paused a bit before giving the standard "It depends."  I guess I should've known but I was really hoping there'd be some sort of comment he'd enlighten me on.  Anyway, after a bit he told me to sit back up.  Midway rising, he asked whether my right calf feel more tight and painful.  I said yes and he told me to lie back down again.  He then told me he will aspirate my legs.  It was a bit surprising because I didn't know I could start aspiration so soon.  Sticking the needle into my legs were painful at first but the extraction of fluid was even more painful than I imagined.  The nurse also had to massage and press my calves to make sure more fluid could be extracted.  This was extremely painful and I had to grip onto the edge of the operation table everytime she pushes down on my tendered calf.  After what seem like a long time, they did the same thing to my left calf.  I can't imagine having to do this myself when even having Park and the nurses doing it for me were already causing so much pain.  I was then rebandaged up and I asked Park whether he would advise walking around outside yet.  He said I could but no more than 2 hours.  I also asked whether I should wear wedges or flats when going out and he said wedges would be more comfortable.  I'm not sure whether I should just wear flats so that I could heal faster.  I'd rather suffer the uncomfort while walking in flats and recover faster than to be comfortable in wedges but have a delayed recovery time.  I noticed after aspiration that my calves do feel a LITTLE bit better.  Not a lot but better than before.  The nurse also told me to do some stretches before I go and I was able to do one not too painfully.  However Park told me to move my feet even further away from the wall so I wasn't able to touch my belly to the wall after this.  He reemphasized that stretching is very important and I was free to go.  I walked back to the residence okay and waited a bit before going out in the afternoon.  Went out at 2pm and decided to wear wedges.  Didn't walk too much because got dragged to consultation at Grand for 3+ hours.  Tried to do some stretches and rested my legs but could feel them getting tight.  Finally left at 630 and tried to walk abit but getting very rainy.  Rested 2 more times and limped back in rain.  Felt extremely frustrated at this point.  Got back to residence and quickly elevated my legs.  Amazingly it wasn't too unbearable.  Tried sleeping with legs elevated on chair.  Switched positions a couple of times throughout the night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment